Saturday, March 8, 2008

Strong S - SW

This is my first post after being an avid reader of the many windsurfing blogs out there. Hopefully those of you like me (wanting to know the conditions / sessions that we missed) will enjoy reading about the windsurfing that can be had on the Eastern Shore of MD. Enough about that:

Today the forecast was for low 20's out of the South and I figured why not try my local launch, Oxford, MD. I've sailed there several times always with a Northerly wind and there is a nice beach to lauch from.
Today I had to seek an alternate launch to access the southerly wind and was plesantly supprised with what I found. I launched from a little beach right next to the Oxford Sailing Club. (Note - the sign on the street says no parking and when sane people are out this may be a problem)
After sitting through a brief downpour and squall the wind seemed to turn off. Then gradually the wind came back untill I was fully powered on a 5.4 and 92l board. The mile wide river created some nice ramps that allowed a couple of really nice jumps (I only wish someone was around to take a picture). After about an hour of the wind continuing to build I was blown off the water and kicked myself for not bringing my 4.7. I took some pictures and video of the location / wind and hope to upload them soon. Anyway tomorrow looks good out of the North I will have to see what the air temp is.

2 comments:

Paul Richardson said...

Hey Josh,
Nice stoke! I'll have to look you up if I'm ever on the Shore. If you're ever this way, shoot James or me a note so we can get in a sesh, and I'm sure we can get some pics of you launching! Rock on!

James Douglass said...

Hey Josh, great to touch base again! And nice blog there! You're an internet windsurfing pioneer for the Eastern Shore. :) If you can make it to Hatteras for windfest you should come on down. It's April 17th - 20th. Bruce and I will be getting in on Friday the 18th.